Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The House of Usher---A New Ending













I recently went to the new House of Usher location in Second Life. Once I teleported up to the floating island, I immediately noticed now gloomy the entire setting was. It was dark outside, and the house was even gloomier. I walked inside of the house and immediately noticed that the hallways were suffocatingly narrow. Everything was quite dark. There were hardly any windows, which would not have helped anyway since there is pretty much no light on the outside.

Roderick next offered me and my partner a tour of the house, which we gladly agreed to. One of the first things we walked by was the crypt, which we were immediately told not to explore. This of course made me decide that I would surely tour it--I would just have to wait until after the tour to do so. Every room which we were shown agreed with my immediate reaction that the house was incredibly gloomy.

As I walked around the house I picked up various notecards---some of which were interesting, and some of which seemed somewhat pointless. One notecard was a map of the crypt, which I thought was pretty cool. I saw a lot of minor details, and could tell that a lot of time had been put into the house.

As we got upstairs, things started getting a little weird. Madeline started hallucinating and started talking to a wooden horse. She started saying things about getting some rest to which Roderick responded that she needed her medicine. When we saw that medicine was being offered to her, me and my partner immediately both said no and that she should not take any medicine. Roderick insisted that she needed it. Both Madeline and Roderick said that Madeline needed to be left alone to take a nap. I thought this was strange and argued against it, but the actors insisted and we left her alone.

I next went to do some exploring on my own. My first stop---the crypt---exactly where I was told not to go explore. There was a very green glow about the entire crypt. A lot of time passed and all of a sudden I found Madeline laying inside the coffin. I tried talking on the local chat, to which Madeline would not respond. I then decided to instant message her. She communicated with me through that venue, claiming that all of this was coming to me in a dream-like state and that she could not talk or move. She told me that I must convince Roderick that she was indeed not dead.

I told my partner and Margaret to all convince Roderick that she was not dead. Never was Roderick fully convinced, but he obviously had enough doubt to question it and not bury her while she was still alive. The chloroform which Roderick gave Madeline eventually wore off. Her eyes started fluttering and she eventually stood up and began talking again, to which Roderick was very surprised.

I did notice a few clues that gave me a heads-up of what is going on. In Roderick's room I found a notecard which was called "dosage." On it it said that he had made several "attempts" with other medicines and next he will give Madeline chloroform but did not know how much to give her. Also, there was a bottle of pills on his dresser in his room.

If I were to change a few things about the architecture and structure of the house, I would firstly move the crypt. It seems weird that there is a stairway leading down to a "crypt" so close to the front door. It is almost as if you walk in the door and are immediately presented with a off-limits place with a green glow. Also I would add a few hidden compartments/rooms and sliding bookcases, maybe a book that can be pulled to rotate a bookcase around. The Usher's house seems like it would be one of those houses that has those kind of things.


No comments:

Post a Comment