Monday, October 26, 2009

A Tourist Report: Heritage Key

I recently downloaded the Heritage Key software and began touring the Valley of The Kings and King Tut's tomb. I found the software to be in some ways better than that of Second Life, and in other ways worse. Since there are not many other people there on site while my avatar is (or any) there is no lag and therefore I can move throughout the landscape without having to wait. This helps because I can go there and do what I need to do and not waste any time waiting for the software to catch up with me. On the other hand, my avatar still walks like a duck and cannot add any "skins" or special effects like I could in Second Life.

The tomb of Kind Tut is pretty cool. All of the wall paintings look to be worn from time just as they are in the actual tombs. There are even heiroglyphics on the walls as they appear in the actual tomb of King Tut. Within the tomb there are several embedded audio files which one can listen to in order to learn more about the tomb or jewels. The jewels are rather detailed and seem, at least to my ignorant and untrained eyes, to be pretty good representations of what the actual jewels look like.

The process of getting to King Tut's tomb is pretty clever. Upon generating one's avatar, he or she starts in the main Heritage Key building from which he or she can go through star gates in order to teleport to the next destination. Eventually one makes it to a hot air balloon, from which one can see a map of Egypt and several surrounding countries. The balloon takes you to the final destination, the excavation site of King Tut's tomb, and the adventure begins.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you had a good Heritage Key experience and that everything worked well.

    In the first paragraph you can probably just make a new paragraph after the sentence that ends in "in other ways worse."

    Maybe you can extend on how you felt about the King Tut exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope my role in giving a tour of HK will go as smoothly tomorrow, when I'm online for the annual EDUCAUSE conference in Denver.

    ReplyDelete